Aikido Centers was established in 1988. Sensei O'Connor has been studying and teaching Aikido since 1976. At Aikido Centers we teach traditional Aikido as handed down by Aikido's founder, Morihei Ueshiba, emphasizing Aikido's capabilities from passive gentle persuasion to full street effectiveness along with its philosophy, ideals and ethics.
We are an organization of traditional Aikido dojos under the direction of our chief instructor and founder, Sensei Greg O'Connor. Through O'Connor Sensei we enjoy a direct relationship with Aikido World Headquarters (Aikido Hombu Dojo, Tokyo) as well as hundreds of Aikido dojos across the United States and around the world. O'Connor Sensei's goal is to create and maintain high quality Aikido dojos, to teach high quality Aikido, to encourage and to support each student, to build their character, confidence and self-esteem and to increase the overall quality of each student’s life.
Aikido Centers is the largest traditional Aikido dojo organization in New Jersey. We currently have traditional Aikido dojos in East Hanover, Sparta, Paterson, Manasquan, Summit (at the Summit YMCA), Montclair and in Lancaster, PA
As an ACNJ member you can train at any and all ACNJ dojos and in every class at every dojo whenever you like - at no additional charge.
• Beginners are given special attention, patience and kindness
• Basic, Intermediate and Advanced Aikido training
• Easy, learn-at-your-own-pace classes
• We emphasize safety, respect and personal enjoyment
• Clean, traditional facilities that are pleasing to the eye and the spirit
• Convenient free parking at all dojos
• Courteous, friendly, professional staff
• Reasonable and affordable membership fees
Our curriculum includes...
• Beginner, Intermediate and Advanced Aikido Training for Men and Women
• Children's Aikido classes (ages 6-12)
• Aikido Bokken and Jo (wooden sword and staff) training and their relation to Aikido technique
• Weapons disarming
• Multiple Attack Defense
• Law Enforcement & Security Defensive Tactics training
• Self Defense Training
• Silent classes (Classes conducted without verbal instruction)
• Candlelight classes (training in low/ambient light)
• Special Aikido weekend seminars and one-day workshops
• Iaido (Japanese Sword)
• Meditation periods
• Open discussions and much more